Monday 6 February 2012

Popularity from Insensitivity

The Internet is a wide area connected through cables and wireless technology forming a community. It is where people from various parts of the world share interests and information vice versa. A week ago, a friend of mine asked me how to be popular on the Internet. I'm pretty sure what he was up to but he sure was curious about. So I told him to join a social network, mingle an make yourself interesting. Then He asked me, how long would it take? I told him a month or a year depending on how he handles him self on the Internet crowd. Then he asked me again, is there any faster way? I told him, be a showbiz icon or something then you could be popular in an instant.

A week later which was today, he sent me a personal message saying "I know how to be popular in the net in just one day!" I went online and chat with him right away. Then he gave me this various link about a certain Ahcee Flores. Not much in the world knows this young lady, I do wounder if she's young, but she surely did made a fuss in the Philippines. And in just more or less 24 hours she become one of the top trending person in Twitter and had become an interesting topic in Facebook.

Do you know how she did it? She made herself be hated. Yup a simple as that. Just make everyone hate you and let there frustration rang into all the social networks. What Ahcee did was offend a whole region in the Philippines. yesterday, an earthquake with a magnitude of 6.9 hit the Visayas. Ahcee posted on yahoo to "pray for a tsunami on Cebu so people would die". She even mocked the Cebuanos prayerful culture which ofended the whole Bisaya community (those who speaks Visayan langauge/s). 

This event reminded me of the Earthquake and Tsunami that hit Japan March last year. It was a disaster yet there are some people who wished same as Ahcee did. That person also become very popular that time. But only for that time. Same as Ahcee, sooner or later she would be forgoten. When another calamity is again to come, theres a big chance another person same as Ahcee sprouts once again. Another person to be hated. I do wish its not my friend shared me the idea of being popular by being hated.

But what does this indicate? As the Internet changes to a higher level, our sensitivity lowers as well? We might think apart from others, or feel different from others but shouldn't we be considerate? The world sure is changing in a fast pace. But let us not let our feelings be drifted away. Cause this feelings is what makes us human. 

No comments:

Post a Comment